Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fire in the Belly, a found file, 13Aug11


From my Facebook archives, 19Jul09

My friend Jane was visiting me this past week and we had a fabulous time.  She's a phenomenally cool (and fine) human being and has done any number of amazing and fantastic things in her life (and I'm not just saying this because she'll probably read it.)  She was a commander in the navy, has done her stint with the dot.coms, worked for school systems as a financial geek and is working again with the navy as a civil servant.  She's also a Reiki three, a minister, a certified archetype reader (as I am) and can weld a power grinder (for removing rust from her houseboat) better than most professionals.  Oh, and she's getting her PhD in leadership.

We are both extremely competent at double handfuls of tasks -- Janis'/Jane's of all trades, masters of none.  Its the master of none aspect that I want to write about.  We talked briefly one night about how neither of us were really, incredibly, unstoppably passionate about any one thing, or even a small cluster of things. 

Jane was looking at my business card.  (I'd made one up so I'd have something to hand out if the need arose.)  It says taiji/qigong practitioner, qigong teacher, certified archetype consultant, HeartMath practitioner, fabric artist, drum/drumstick maker and custom beaded jewelry.  She said to me, only half kidding, "pick three"...  yikes. 

At a wonderful symposium put together by Tammy Holmes earlier this year, there was a woman speaking named Tama J. Kieves.  Her book is called This Time I Dance!, subtitle Creating the Work You Love.  Her teaser is a brilliant question "If you're this successful doing work you don't love, what could you do with work you do love?"   Holy cats!
Today at a training meeting at church, the associate pastor quipped that she's stumbled onto being a minister simply because she kept taking classes until ... oops ... she was qualified as a minister.  Wow.  That didn't hit me with full force until tonight when I was thinking about what really makes fire in the belly. 

How many people are lucky enough, or focused enough, to be doing something that really puts/feeds a fire in their belly, and how many are just going along doing stuff that pays the bills, or makes their lives easier/more pleasant or what they were expected to do?  What would it be like if we each did what 'lit' us up all day, every day?  I presently don't know what that would be for me, though I believe I am aiming to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment