Thursday, July 7, 2011

Careful ..... 7Jul11


About a month ago when I was looking at my finances, I said out loud to no one in particular "It sure would be useful to have an extra couple hundred bucks a month."  I thought nothing more of it.  The next night I was coming in through the gate of our little gated community and the security guard, who also served as part-time postmaster, asked me if I wanted his community post office job.  We have a small private post office that serves only our community, separate from the USPS.   (We go up to the local Post Office to pick up the bundled mail and packages.)  He said, "it pays a couple hundred bucks a month." Every time I hear my words coming back to me out of someone else's mouth, it tends to catch my attention. 

He was leaving town and thought the position might interest me.  After we talked a bit about it, and he told me the catch ... that I would have the whole thing six days a week for the month when the alternate postmaster took vacation this summer.  I agreed to take it on.  By the end of my first week, I had gotten the task(s) down to the absolute minimum number of hours per day (which makes it less profitable, since it is a paid-by-the-hour job).  Ah, well... 

Mysteriously, that month of vacation coverage morphed into seven weeks (this past week was week 2), and even though I recognize it as a service within and for our community, I have also realized that I'm not interested in continuing this job past this September/October when they can find someone else to pick it up.   

Be very careful what you ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment